The functions of the department are given below
- Legislation, policy formulation and planning for Public Prosecution Service.
- Inspection and monitoring of the working and the service delivery of Public Prosecution service.
- Advice to other administrative departments as a regulatory function for implementation of policy, on the subject, in cases of criminal proceedings against government or any civil servant for an act or omission in his official duty, and cases relating to criminal litigation.
- Grant of sanction for filing appeals against acquittals / petitions for enhancement of sentence / Writ Petitions in criminal misc. matters / petitions for cancellation of bails and criminal petitions for leave to appeal in the appellate courts.
- Engagement of private prosecutor and determination of his fees, in rare and special criminal cases where no suitable departmental prosecutor is available.
- Budget, accounts and audit matters.
- Purchase of stores and capital goods for the department.
- Service matters except those entrusted to Services and General Administration Department.
- Administration of the ‘Punjab Criminal Prosecution Service (Constitution, Functions and Powers) Act, 2006’ and the rules framed there-under.
- Matters incidental and ancillary to the above subjects.